There’s nothing quite like spending time with family and friends during the holidays. You’re focused on all the fun and festivities, enjoying everyone’s company and indulging in all your favorite treats. Even during this joyous time of the year, you can’t let your guard down. In fact, it’s even more important to step up your home security during the holidays to protect your home, property, and family from harm. Keep the following things in mind as you prepare to enjoy the holidays and you’ll rest easier knowing your family is protected:
Criminals Don’t Take Holidays Off
Most people get time off to celebrate the holidays at home with their families or to travel. Criminals, on the other hand, are opportunistic and the holiday season is a busy time of the year. In fact, home break-ins and burglaries tend to spike during December, close to Christmas. Anything valuable in your home, including electronics, jewelry, cash, all those gifts you’ve bought are targets for thieves.
Daytime Holiday Thefts Are Common
You might think that home invasions are most common at night when criminals can hide under the cover of darkness. The truth is, most burglaries happen during daylight hours when people are away at work, school, or traveling for the holiday. Even more surprising is the fact that most perpetrators actually live within walking distance of the home they break into.
How to Minimize the Risk of a Break-In
It’s fun to decorate your home for the holidays and you love to show off your taste and flare. That means leaving your living room curtains open so your big, beautifully decorated tree and all those gorgeous packages are exposed. Not only that, but every other valuable thing you own is on display from that big screen TV you enjoy to Grandma’s antique vase you cherish.
Stop signaling to thieves that your home is worth breaking into. Protect your home this holiday season by taking these simple actions:
- Keep curtains and drapes closed as often as possible to maintain your privacy.
- Install outdoor lighting and randomly turn them on and off so burglars don’t get a sense of your schedule.
- Don’t leave lights on (or off) all the time in your home. Be sure to change the lighting to let criminals know the house is occupied.
- Don’t leave boxes for expensive items exposed next to the curb. If you buy a new TV, computer, game console, or anything of that nature, break the boxes down and hide them in a trash bag so you don’t alert thieves.
- Avoid oversharing on social media. You may be proud that you’ve been able to afford a lot of gifts for your family, but be careful. Taking pictures of specific gifts and posting them can put a target on your or a family member's back.
- Don’t make your absence obvious if you’re traveling. Ask someone to check in periodically on your home. Have someone take the trash out on time, pick up your mail and packages, and generally keep up the appearance that someone has been home and may come back soon.
- Don’t tell everyone on social media about your holiday purchases or plans to travel during the holidays. Even though your friends may be trustworthy, you never know who else is following the conversation. Wait until you are home to share your experiences.
Protect Your Home for the Holidays with an ADT Home Security System
You work hard to provide your family with all the best things in life and the holidays are very special to you. Don’t let criminals ruin your holidays or cause trauma to your family. Protect your home and family with a home security system from ADT that’s monitored by professionals 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- ADT home security systems can alert authorities to a break-in, burglary, fire or smoke, and even dangerous carbon monoxide levels.
- Choose a basic home security system or a high-tech version that incorporates home automation features such as smart locks and smart lights.
- Control your home security system from anywhere with the mobile app on your smartphone. Check in on your home when you’re not there, turn on and off lights, make sure your doors are locked, or unlock the door to let kids in without having to be there.
- If your home security system is triggered due to someone breaking in or a fire, the monitoring center will be contacted immediately and you’ll be notified right away via your phone.
- With an ADT home security system, you’ll be able to rest easy knowing your home is being monitored even when you’re away.
Protect Your Home this Holiday Season with an ADT Home Security System
Most homes in the US aren’t equipped with a home security system and criminals are well aware of this fact. The holiday season can leave your family and home particularly vulnerable to would-be thieves and burglars. When you install an ADT home security system, you benefit from more than 140 years of experience protecting homes and personal property.
- Six monitoring centers strategically placed throughout the country mean you’re always covered.
- More than 7,000 highly trained technicians are standing by to assist you during any emergency.
- Instantly communicate your needs through the 2-Way Voice feature on your security system control panel.
- Protect your home from break ins, fire and smoke damage, and carbon monoxide build up.
- Rest assured you can always get medical attention when you need it through your ADT security system.
Contact TruHome Security or call 888-474-6878 to learn more about ADT monitoring services or to request a quote for a home security system.